Little Engines is open from 8.45am – 3.30pm. We are open 50 weeks of the year, closing for 2 weeks over the Christmas/New Year holiday period. For Christmas 2013, we will close on Friday 20 December and reopen on Tuesday 7 January. Little Engines plans activities that are appropriate, challenging, educational and of interest, to extend children’s learning and development. Teachers work closely with children developing child initiated discussions and extending children’s ideas and interests.
1. Is child-focused and encourages self-reliance, develops children’s self esteem, wellbeing and social skills. The programme also seeks to further children’s knowledge of their own and other cultures in New Zealand, recognising beauty in diversity.
2. Provides activities for children to develop social skills, communication skills and exploratory play.
3. Provides opportunities for children’s skills and knowledge to be extended, according to their individual needs and abilities and interests. We acknowledge children’s strengths and interests and cater to their learning in a way that appeals to them.
4. Aims to create independent learners for the future; by building children’s confidence and self-esteem, equipping them with the necessary skills for all social and educational experiences in life.
5. Recognises the importance of the intimate relationships required between the home and the pre-school and utilises a primary caregiver system to facilitate and foster that relationship. A broad outline of our daily programme is as follows:
|8.45am – 11.45am||Montessori work cycle (the day begins with greeting and song)|
|9.45am – 10.15am||Morning tea|
|11.00am||Tidy up and line time (music and movement, poems, birthday celebrations)|
|11.30am||Outdoor play time|
|12.00pm – 1.00pm||Lunch time and outdoor play time|
|1.00pm||Line time (including Letterland)|
|1.30pm||Project based activities (and quiet/rest time for those in need)|
|2.00pm – 3.00pm||Rolling afternoon tea, indoor/outdoor flow, independent choosing|
|3.00pm||Tidy up and pack bags|
|3.15pm – 3.30pm||Story time, goodbye song and pick-up|
On Wednesdays, an Extension Class is run by the senior teaching staff.